Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, June 12, 2017

Coming Along Nicely

 These lovely long days are bringing on everything in my courtyard garden.  This Tayberry is starting to ripen now.  A Tayberry is a cross between a Raspberry and a Blackberry.  I am eating these every day straight from the plant so that the birds don't get  there before me.
 Without the aid of a greenhouse these Sungold cherry tomatoes are just beginning to ripen.  These really are one of the best tasting tomatoes.  Even though they are an F1 variety and seeds can be costly, they really are worth it.
 This little cucumber Carmen , is growing bigger by the day. There is a cucumber on every single leaf joint so if I can keep it well fed and watered it is going to be quite prolific.
 I have a Morello cherry tree up against the West facing brick wall of the house.  I have bought some netting to cover them.  The will start to ripen to a dark purple almost black colour soon.  Must get a move on and get all that netting up.
 Still early days yet but this bush courgette Romanesco is just beginning to show.   Again, a really prolific bush variety from Seeds of Italy.   Experience as well as trial and error have shown me which varieties of fruit and veggies grow well for me in my own situation.
In between the tomato plants in the grow bags I have planted quite a few clumps of Genovese Basil.   These make good companion plants as well as making a tasty accompaniment to tomato!
Romanesco Courgettes do well in this South facing container up against a brick wall.  As long as they are fed and watered, they will do well here.

3 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Blogger Mal said...

Agree about Sungold! Also growing basil galore. As for courgettes I always fall back on Defender, but your Romanesco recommendation is noted for next year.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Shaheen said...

Its all looking wonderful. Our tomatoes are behind because i planted them late, but i do hope to get a good harvest. The courgettes are coming along with the first picking def this weekend. I love your tayberry and am so envious. I saw a market stall holder selling them yesterday and thought oh imported blackberries,but i was so wrong - i think i will have to get a tub, even though i have plenty of strawberries coming from the garden.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

It's all so healthy and prolific, you have a magical green thumb 😊

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>