Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

How to Pickle Walnuts - part 2

So my green walnuts have been soaking in brine for a week, and now I am draining them and soaking them in a clean brine solution for another week.  You can see already that parts of the walnuts are already turning black.  Again, this black dye that comes out of the walnuts really does stain, so please wear gloves when handling them.  Next stage happens in one more week.

2 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Pickling is the only way we beat the squirrels to enjoying walnuts from our tree. it's worth the long processing.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Shaheen said...

I have never had pickled walnuts so am very curious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>